Saturday, February 1, 2014

Moving on...

My last post was a tribute to my special best friend, Tigger, who crossed the "Rainbow Bridge" on January 23.  This blog post is about my recovery and now my obsession to move on with my cat lady life.
Tigger, RIP

Since Tigger's passing my other cats have been grieving.  No, they aren't wailing into tissues and endlessly surfing the Pet Channel for stories that will inspire and stimulate them.  They are pretty cold mourners, actually.  My Toonsis has been a little more vocal than usual and has spent time sniffing under furniture and pulling back drapes to find her hidden companion.  She stares at me as if to say, "what did you do with my buddy?"  I need to clarify these cats were hardly sleep companions.  In fact, Tigger often pounced on Toonsis whenever she got too close to him or sniffed him too enthusiastically.  When they were younger and Toonsis was first introduced, Tigger merely tolerated her and shrugged her off, knowing he was my favorite and she was just my daughter's plaything.  Over time, they grew more compatible and would lay beside each other on the floor and definitely spent time together scouting out sunny places to relax.

Toonsis as a baby

Tigger (center) surrounded by Toonsis (left) and Pepper (right)
Pepper, my youngest cat, has been pretty cavalier about her friend's disappearance. The only time I think she notices he is missing is when it's mealtime and she seeks my big boy to annoy him until I get fed up and feed them both.  Now she eats twice daily like a NORMAL PET.  She has gotten pretty porky lately because I had to feed Tigger constantly--whenever he would eat.  And so whatever he left, those scraps were her specialty.  So her grief has taken the form of a cat who needs to join Overeaters Anonymous.

I have spent time volunteering at the local animal shelter, offering to foster cats now that I am down one.  I always enjoyed fostering as it gave me the impression I was socializing unworthy cats (haha) with my attention and love.  It was always difficult to turn them back over to the shelter, and that may be a problem for me now as well.  I don't know.  After all, that is how Pepper came into the family.  Ungrateful kitty.

But without my constant companion I feel a little lost and think I need to find a way to transfer my affection onto cat(s) who need humans as much as I need them.  Today I am off to an adoption event to discuss this with existing foster families and we will see what I come home with.  Probably an application and a promise of a home visit.

I say I am "obsessed" because I can't seem to shake this loneliness I feel without my best kitty friend.  I've spent time on Petfinder.com thinking I will see that perfect companion waiting for my rescue.  I receive emails from friends telling me to run out and adopt a kitten NOW.  Perhaps waiting until "kitten season" would be best when I can be as choosy as I like.  Getting a new pet in a desperate state is not a good way to ensure a good fit.  Sure, I have two other cats to pour my love on--but frankly, they are so independent and non-cuddly that it just isn't enough.  I want to fuss.  Tigger was such a high maintenance cat that I'm used to the fuss and now have too much free time to mourn him.  I want to pet a cat that doesn't run away when she sees me coming (unless it's dinnertime). 

So off I go...on a mission.  I wonder what the day will bring.  With any luck I will not cry today.  And I will not bring home a puppy.  LOL--that's the threat I use on my husband when he tells me to wait.  I am impatient, like a cat myself, and will restlessly prowl until I find a new litter mate.

No comments: